Juicy shrimp in a sweet sticky, spicy, garlicky sauce. A quick dinner that tastes like a homemade Chilli Jam stir fry you get at modern Thai restaurants!
Calories: 326 kcal
- 10 oz / 300g prawns / shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or canola)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp ginger , grated or finely chopped (can be omitted)
- 1 – 2 tsp chilli flakes* (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp Sriracha (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce , light or all purpose
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or sub with white sugar)
- Sesame seeds
- Finely chopped shallots/scallions
- Finely chopped red chillies
Coat prawns in vegetable oil. Heat well seasoned skillet or non stick pan over high heat. Cook prawns for 2 minutes, or until light golden and just cooked. (Note 3) Transfer onto a plate.
Remove skillet from stove to cool down slightly, and decrease stove to medium.
Add sesame oil into skillet, return to stove. When heated, add garlic, ginger and chilli flakes. Cook until garlic is fragrant and starting to turn golden.
Add water, then remaining ingredients. Stir, increase heat to medium high, and let it simmer for 3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken to a syrup consistency.
Return prawns into skillet and toss to coat in sauce and reheat, and cook until the sauce thickens a bit more.
Garnish with sesame seeds, fresh chilli and shallots if desired. Serve with rice and steamed baby Buk Choy (Note 4)